When it comes to the safety and functionality of your vehicle, the windshield plays a critical role. It not only provides a clear view of the road but also contributes to the structural integrity of the car. In some cases, you may need to replace your windshield due to damage or wear and tear. After windshield replacement, it is crucial to ensure that it is properly calibrated to maintain the safety features of your vehicle. In this blog, we will explore the process of windshield calibration after replacement in Ottawa, with a focus on the services offered by Auto Glass Ottawa.
The Importance of Windshield Calibration
Modern vehicles are equipped with advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), which rely on sensors and cameras mounted on or near the windshield. These systems include adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, collision avoidance, and more. Windshield calibration is essential to ensure that these systems function correctly. Failure to calibrate the windshield after replacement can result in misaligned sensors, leading to inaccurate readings and potentially compromising your safety on the road.
The Windshield Replacement Process
Before diving into the windshield calibration process, let’s briefly go over the windshield replacement procedure.
1. Assessment: The process begins with a thorough assessment of the damage to your windshield. If the damage is severe and cannot be repaired, a replacement is recommended.
2. Removal: The old windshield is carefully removed, and any adhesive residue is cleaned off to prepare the surface for the new windshield.
3. Installation: The new windshield is installed using high-quality adhesive, ensuring a secure fit.
4. Drying Time: The adhesive needs time to cure and bond the windshield to the vehicle’s frame. This typically takes a few hours, and the technician will advise you on when it’s safe to drive.
Windshield Calibration Process
Once the new windshield is securely in place, the calibration process begins. It is crucial to trust this task to experienced professionals like Auto Glass Ottawa, who have the expertise and equipment to perform the job accurately. Here’s what the calibration process entails:
1. Initialization: The technician will start by initializing the vehicle’s ADAS system, ensuring that it’s ready for calibration.
2. Positioning: Specialized equipment is used to precisely position the vehicle and the calibration tool in the correct location.
3. Calibration: The calibration tool communicates with the vehicle’s sensors and cameras, aligning them to the proper angles and settings. This ensures that they function as intended.
4. Verification: After calibration, the technician performs a series of tests and checks to verify that the ADAS system is working correctly.
Road Test: To further validate the calibration, a road test may be conducted to ensure that the vehicle’s safety features are functioning accurately.
In Ottawa, windshield replacement is a common necessity due to the harsh weather conditions and road hazards. However, it’s not just about replacing the glass; it’s about ensuring that your vehicle’s safety systems are recalibrated properly to protect you and your passengers. Trusting professionals like Auto Glass Ottawa for windshield replacement and calibration is essential to maintain the safety and integrity of your vehicle. Don’t compromise on safety – get your windshield replacement and calibration done right in Ottawa.